Taxi accident claim

Taxi Accident Claims

You may be able to make a taxi accident claim for compensation if you’ve been injured in or by a taxi in an RTA that wasn’t your fault.

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident while in a taxi or minicab, you might be able to submit a taxi accident claim for compensation. You could also claim compensation if you were in another vehicle or were a pedestrian that was involved in an accident with a taxi.

Taxi drivers themselves could claim against the company they work for if they feel their employer was at fault for the RTA.

This guide will provide you with all of the necessary details to help you in your quest of claiming compensation for a taxi or minicab accident.

What is a taxi or minicab accident claim?

A taxi or minicab accident claim means that you are seeking compensation because you sustained injuries when you were travelling in a taxi or were involved in an accident with a taxi in some way and you were not at fault. The compensation amount you are awarded would cover the pain you have had to endure but also will compensate the financial losses you encountered because of the taxi accident.

Claiming compensation for a taxi or minicab accident

When you choose a law firm to represent you for your minicab or taxi accident claim, most injury victims want to use a solicitor who will work on the principle of ‘no win, no fee.’ This can give them peace of mind since they won’t have to pay any money upfront before they begin the claiming process.

Also, it means that they will ordinarily only pay their solicitor if they are successful in their taxi accident claim. Usually, this fee is a percentage of the compensation awarded and it is agreed upon at the start of the process.

The ‘no win, no fee’ approach gives claimants a significant amount of financial protection. This is protection that they may not have if choosing a law firm that charges per hour.

Who can claim compensation if they were injured in a taxi or minicab accident?

It does not matter whether you were a passenger, you were driving, or you were in another vehicle, if you were injured in a taxi accident which was not your fault, you could claim personal injury compensation. The only thing you have to do is to provide proof that someone was at fault.

How do you submit a compensation claim for a taxi accident?

Whether you’re the taxi driver, a passenger in a taxi, another driver, or a pedestrian injured in an RTA, the claiming process is essentially the same. You should call a law firm that specialises in road traffic accidents and they guide you on how the process works and even deal with the whole process for you.

Normally, each taxi accident claim handled by a solicitor begins with a telephone consultation that is free. After this consultation, you have no obligation to use that law firm. The free consultation can be used just a way of seeking advice on how to proceed. During this consultation, you can ask whatever questions you need to.

At the end of the consultation, the solicitor may offer you a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement should they advise you to proceed with making a taxi accident claim. It is entirely your choice whether to accept or reject the offer.

What damages can you seek compensation for?

If you were involved in a taxi accident, you could claim compensation for numerous damages. These damages fall under two categories. These are:

General damages

The term describes the sum of money you will receive to compensate for your pain and suffering. In order to work out the payout awarded, your solicitor may require a medical report. A medical can be arranged for free in most cases where needed. The medical report will detail your injuries, the prognosis and your recommended treatment.

Special damages

As well as being compensated for your pain and suffering, you can also get compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses. If, for example, you had to use a childminder to aid your recovery, you can claim money to cover these costs. You can also claim for any loss of income as a result of the taxi accident as well as car parking fees for hospital visits, expenses for medication and the costs of adapting your home etc.

Taxi accident claims time-limit

Importantly, there are time limits for claiming compensation after an RTA. From the date of the incident, or from when an injury was diagnosed as being from the accident, you have three years to file a taxi accident claim so the sooner you begin this, the better.

It is possible to claim on behalf of a child or young person under 18 if they were injured in an accident with a taxi or minicab. People under the age of 18 will have until they turn 21 to submit a claim by themselves, although leaving it until the last moment will usually be far too late for a solicitor to make a case from.

Taxi accident claims FAQ’s

  • What should I do if I have been in a minicab or taxi accident?

If you were injured in a taxi accident, you can take certain steps to build up your claim and make sure it has a strong chance of success. Let’s take a look at what you can do:

  • At the time of the taxi accident, refrain from saying too much. It can be difficult to keep calm after a crash and it is possible to say something that may clear the other party of any blame.
  • Pay a visit to your GP. It is crucial to seek medical attention as soon after the accident as you can, even if you only have minor injuries. The reason for this is because you might need your GP to provide a medical report for you to have an effective claim.
  • Take photos. If vehicles at the scene of the accident have damage (this is quite likely), or there are visible injuries you should use your phone to take pictures if and when safe to do so.
  • Ask for the driver’s details and the details of his employer if you weren’t the taxi driver. You should note down the vehicle make and number plate and those of any other vehicles involved and drivers’ details.
  • Ask witnesses for their contact details. You should ask anyone who witnessed the taxi accident if they could give you their details. Statements from witnesses make great evidence.
  • Make sure you keep a note of your expenditures after the accident. If you are spending money on transport, medication, or are losing pay because of the accident, you should note these transactions down so you can claim compensation for them.
  • Is it possible to know how much compensation you might get?

Claimants injured in a minicab or taxi accident might want to know how much money they could get. In reality, it is very difficult to provide answers to questions about amounts without knowing details. This is because all cases are unique and are handled uniquely. However, your solicitor will be able to answer this question once they know the details of the case and what injuries are involved.

  • Is it possible to claim compensation if you have been in an accident while in an Uber or another ride-sharing service?

Absolutely. If you have been in an RTA whilst travelling in an Uber (or another similar company), you could claim compensation if you were injured as a result of somebody else’s negligence.

Uber is a business like any other and has the responsibility of ensuring both its employees and customers are safe. If the ride-sharing service failed to make the journey safe and you were injured as a result and it can be proven, you could sue for compensation.

  • Is it possible to claim for a whiplash injury if you were injured while travelling in a taxi?

One of the most frequently occurring injuries in RTAs (Road Traffic Accidents) is whiplash. You will almost certainly be able to claim compensation if you have suffered whiplash in an accident involving a taxi that wasn’t your fault. The rights of taxi passengers in the United Kingdom include the right of taxi passengers to a high level of health and safety and so if this has not been received and you have got a whiplash injury because of this, you could begin a whiplash compensation claim.